City of Richmond's Public Works
The Public Works Department’s Mission is to keep the streets and public areas in the City of Richmond in good repair and clean for our citizens. To send a request for street paving, email@example.com.
- Garbage / Trash Removal
- Street Maintenance
- Snow Removal
Garbage / Trash Removal
The City of Richmond has a franchisee agreement with Advanced Disposal for trash service. All residents in Richmond must contact Advanced Disposal to receive trash pick-up. You can contact them at 1-866-636-4869 to establish service. You will receive weekly service and a 95-gallon refuse cart. All ‘Rental Property Owners’ are responsible for arranging for service at their properties. It is the property owner’s responsibility to establish service for their renters.
Trash should be placed in cans or cart and not in bags or loose. Trash should be placed at curb after dusk the night before scheduled pick-up. All containers shall be removed from the curb on the same day they are serviced.
CITY OF RICHMOND GARBAGE COLLECTION - Ordinance # 76-20 and Ordinance # 88-21
- Place garbage on the curb the NIGHT BEFORE your scheduled service.
- Garbage MUST be placed in a Rigid PLASTIC OR METAL CONTAINER and not on curb loose or in bags.
- All containers must be REMOVED from the curb the SAME DAY they are serviced.
- For pick-up schedules or other questions please call Advance Disposal TOLL FREE at 1-866-636-4869.
Thanks for your dedication in Keeping Richmond Beautiful!
City of Richmond
Board of Commissioners
Our Services include:
- Street Maintenance (including pot holes and cuts made by the Street Department; Richmond Utilities is responsible for their own cuts)
- Street Signs
- Storm Water Drainage
- Grass and Weed Control FOR PUBLIC AREAS ONLY
- Snow and Ice Removal FROM STREETS ONLY(sidewalks, parking lots, and private drives are cleared by property owners)
- Chipping and leaf maintenance should be discarded by homeowners themselves, CONTRACTORS MUST REMOVE AND DISCARD OF THEIR OWN WASTE.
Ordinances, Schedules & Other Information
Snow Removal Information
The Public Works Department is responsible for the snow removal from the city roadways during the winter. Our first priority is to clear main roadways and streets with significant hills. We then move onto residential areas. Our goal is to keep Richmond moving. We request your help during snow and ice removal operations and ask that you follow these simple suggestions:
- Please limit travel during storms to trips that are necessary. Once roads have been plowed and salted, the potential for accidents is greatly reduced.
- Please park your vehicles in your driveways and off the road. If you must park on the street, try to park on one side of the street only. Parked cars hinder the speed and efficiency of our snow removal operation.
- Do not plow snow from your driveways and walk ways into the road. Please pile the snow in your yard. Remember, you are also responsible for your snow removal contractor’s actions.
- When snow plows are used during snow falls, the initial pass of the snow plow is made to open up the road for traffic flow. The following passes will push the snow to the curb line or road edge. This is necessary in order to allow for the drainage of melting snow into catch basins and to allow more space to plow future snow accumulations.
- To avoid salt hitting your vehicle while driving, move away from the center of the road when you see a salt truck approaching from the opposite direction. Salt trucks are designed to deposit more salt near the center of the road as the salt works its way to the road edge as traffic runs over it. Please try to stay back approximately 200 feet from the rear of a truck while it is deploying the material.
- To insure that your mailbox is not damaged during snow plowing operations, place your mailbox at least 42” above the ground and the front face of the mailbox door at least 10” from the front face of the curb or road edge.
- Remove your portable basketball hoop from the street and place it on your property. The Public Works Department is not responsible for damages to this equipment.
- When calling the Public Works Department, please keep messages simple and direct. Be certain to state your name, phone number, the problems you are calling about, and its location.
- Please keep sidewalks clear.
When our snow plow drivers clear residential streets, the plows will throw snow to the side and into driveways. There is no way to clear the streets without this inconvenience. Snow plows are designed to remove snow from the roadway to the edge of the road. Residents are responsible for removing this snow.
Please note: There are some streets in the City Limits that are private, and therefore NOT part of the snow removal routes. There are also streets in the City limits that have NOT yet been accepted into the City’s Maintenance Program.