239 West Main St; Richmond, KY 40475 | (859) 623-1000

Alcohol Beverage Control

Contact Information:

Tyler Frazier
Alcohol Beverage Control Administrator
239 West Main Street

All questions related to the sale of alcohol, training for servers, forms request, complaints, and applications for license.

The following link is to the various application documents:  Alcoholic Beverage Control Public Protection Cabinet of Kentucky

The Codes Enforcement Department’s mission is to enforce the adopted codes regarding the construction and maintenance of buildings and structures in order to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the City of Richmond. To this end, the Codes Enforcement Department will strive for excellence in educating its employees to provide quality inspections and customer service.

Alcoholic Licensing FAQs

Transfer of ownership issues: Can I use the seller's license until I get my own license?


Does my application have to be complete before it's turned in or may I complete the portion I know and provide the additional information later?

The application must be complete. However, some of the additional attachments such as the Fire Marshal’s certificate, lease and tax numbers may be turned in later. We must have a completed application before a license will be issued.

How much does a license cost?

This depends on the type of license(s) and the area where your business is located.  Complete fee information is included in the Basic Application.

What type of license do I need?

This depends on the type of business and area where you wish to operate.

Do I need to furnish my own background check? If so, how do I do this?

Effective Jan. 19, 2010, all applicants are required to obtain and submit their own Kentucky police record/criminal background records check from the Kentucky Administrative Office of the Courts. Kentucky ABC will no longer accept payment for requesting criminal background checks on behalf of the applicant. Out-of-state applicants must submit their background check from the appropriate agency.

What is a d/b/a?

This is the name of the business known by the public.

Do I need to furnish my lease?

Yes, unless the exact entity to hold the ABC license is the owner of the real estate where the business is located.

What are the requirements for obtaining a license?

  • You must be at least 21 years of age to apply.
  • You must be a Kentucky resident for the past year, unless you apply as a corporation, LLC or Ltd. Partnership.
  • You must be a citizen of the United States unless you apply as a corporation, LLC or Ltd. Partnership.
  • Individuals, partners, officers, directors or managers may not apply if, within the past five years, they have been convicted of any felony or within the past two years have been convicted of any alcohol or controlled substance misdemeanor.  KRS 243.100